3 Steps away and other GPS stuff.

Site-Wide Activity Forums Technical Issues 3 Steps away and other GPS stuff.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lewis Lewis 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MhBlis
    MhBlis
    Participant

From a quick read of reddit (18/7) it would seem that currently the tracking system is broken. All Pokemon are show as 3 foot prints away.

Now my question is how many others are experiencing any of these issues.

1. The Pokemon you are catching isn’t even showing up in your nearby list.

2. When you enter swivel mode the GPS and visual is all wrong. In my case its rotated by about 120 degrees. It shows a Pokestop when facing North from my Work when actually it is South.

Profile photo of Lewis
    Lewis
    Keymaster

I had the first issue today. An Alakazam showed up for me to catch (very happy about that!), but it wasn’t even on the radar.

Profile photo of Lewis
    Lewis
    Keymaster

I’ve been doing more testing with this. I’m quite certain the Pokemon Radar doesn’t work. Thinking about it, as an IT guy, if I were implementing the Pokemon Go game and it was vastly oversubscribed and struggling, turning off the GIS radius search (Pokemon Radar) feature would save a lot of CPU on the servers and be a good option to increase logon performance.

I imagine it will be a number of months before The Pokemon Company decides whether it’s worth investing in the hardware to implement the Pokemon radar search feature. They’ll be wanting to ensure that the peak usage isn’t just a fad that’ll fade away.

Profile photo of Lewis
    Lewis
    Keymaster

Using the Pokemon API, I can see that the Pokemon Radar kind of works. It’s not doing a radius search, so the proximity to the user isn’t accurate (hence why they are always show all Pokemon being 3 steps away). Instead, it’s showing all Pokemon within a square coordinate range.

I would work out how big this range is, but there’s no point now that I’ve found websites like PokeVision, that let me show the exact locations of Pokemon as they appear on my radar.

Profile photo of DemolitionSquid
    DemolitionSquid
    Participant

Latest Update has now removed the steps all together.

I assume this is an attempt to sweep it under the radar until they can fix the issue.

Profile photo of Lewis
    Lewis
    Keymaster

I doubt they’ll be in a rush to fix it. GIS radius search is not simple and uses lots of CPU. What they currently show is all Pokemon inside a square map – much easier because you just compare the horizontal and vertical coordinates (basic maths).

That said, they seem to have fixed the login server issue so far.

Profile photo of Lewis
    Lewis
    Keymaster

Just looking at this old thread, seems it’s taken them over 5 months to finally sorry out the tracking system. But, I think it works about as good as it possibly could now. Which is great 😃

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.