Most Powerful Pokemon in Pokemon Go

Site-Wide Activity Forums Collecting Pokemon Most Powerful Pokemon in Pokemon Go

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lewis Lewis 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lewis
    Lewis
    Keymaster

Are there any Pokemon in Pokemon Go that are more powerful than others? I realise that Pokemon has somewhat of a Rock-Paper-Scissors thing going for it, but there most be some Pokemon within a particular class that are the best of that type.

Any advice / opinions would be appreciated.

Profile photo of Lewis
    Lewis
    Keymaster

I’ve been playing for a few days now and I’ve found that (unless there is a cap on the trainer level, which I still don’t know), the most powerful Pokemon is whatever it’s easy to catch the most of for you personally.

This is because you can transfer all but one to the professor to get the most candy for that Pokemon type, which means that you can level up that Pokemon type more than any other, making it the most powerful.

Initially I suspected that more powerful Pokemon would be the rarest, but this doesn’t seem to be the case. In the future, it may develop that there’s a trainer level cap, in which case there may be some Pokemon that get more CP or HP per level up and become the most powerful when they reach the level cap. At the moment however, it seems that the most powerful Pokemon is whatever the most common Pokemon is.

In my case, the most powerful Pokemon is a Golbat.

Secondly, it’s worth noting that Pokemon Go does operate like a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. Some Pokemon types are more powerful against others.

Profile photo of ScoobNZ
    ScoobNZ
    Participant

You only have to look at gyms and see what the high CP Pokemon are in there.. the highest I’ve seen was around the 1500CP mark, and it certainly wasn’t a Golbat.

Personally, my highest is a 768 Vaporean, then a 691 Golbat, who is one step away from being maxed-out, power-up-wise

Profile photo of ScoobNZ
    ScoobNZ
    Participant

In fact, Beehive is currently being protected by a 1719 Gyarados

Profile photo of Lewis
    Lewis
    Keymaster

I guess it’ll be interesting to see what the CP is per trainer level. Also it’ll be interesting to see if there’s a level cap.

Profile photo of Lewis
    Lewis
    Keymaster

Because if you get a rare Pokemon that’s powerful, but then you can’t catch another one to get candy to upgrade it, and there no trainer level cap, a Zubat could surpass it over time.

Profile photo of ScoobNZ
    ScoobNZ
    Participant

I’m thinking the CP level increases when your trainer level increases. I’m going to test this theory iby upgrading a Pidgeotto to the max, and then seeing if it can go any further on my next trainer level increase.

Profile photo of Lewis
    Lewis
    Keymaster

It does. Which is why I think the most common Pokemon would be the most powerful if there’s no maximum trainer level, because you can just keep pumping it up. Rare Pokemon are hard to pump up because you can’t get the candy.

That said, there’s discussion (speculation) that there is a maximum trainer level, which means that the Pokemon with the most CP per trainer level would be the most powerful Pokémon.

I guess it might be worth listing the CP increase per level to try to work out what’s the most powerful.

That being said, chatting to @gruzihr the other day, he pointed out that the same Pokemon can have different types of attacks that do different amounts of damage. So you’d have to consider this when trying to work out what’s the most powerful Pokemon.

Profile photo of ScoobNZ
    ScoobNZ
    Participant

Yes i can also confirm this. I just levelled up, and I regained the ability to power up the previously-maxed Pidgeotto. interesting. I wonder how high I can Power Up a Magikarp before I evolve him… 😉

Profile photo of Gruzihr
    Gruzihr
    Participant

Aside from legendary pokemon the following pokemon have the best Base stats
    Dragonite, Snorlax, Arcanine, Exeggutor, Lapras, Vaporeon.
    Other pokmeon can still be better than these if they’re individually more powerful. Breeding isn’t really a thing so no way of getting perfect modifiers aside from luck.

These pokemon will have the highest potential CP numbers. In the main series games pokemon had stats individually for HP, Attack, Special Attack, Defense, Special Defense, and Speed. These were all modifiers to how they perform in combat and each pokemon is unique, the same is true in pokemon Go but instead it’s all condensed into that single CP stat. Different pokmeon of the same species can have different maximum CP but the max is always raised along with your trainer level.

The move sets also matter though, a pokemon with lower CP can be more useful if it has a good moveset, but the ideal is one with both a high CP and good moveset.

Also hunches about that the XL pokemon tend to have more health while the XS dodge better in combat.

Profile photo of Lewis
    Lewis
    Keymaster

Hey all, yesterday (when starting work on the Pokedex) I discovered that different Pokemon have different speed attacks. So you can’t just say that one attack is more powerful because it does 5 extra damage, you also have to consider how many attacks per second can be done. Unfortunately this info isn’t published, however I’ll work on acquiring the data (from other websites and through testing) and update the Pokedex to see how much DPS (damage per second) each attack does on each Pokemon.

So far, Vaporeon seems pretty powerful with Water Gun and Tail Whip because of the speed of their attacks!

I suppose if you get really good at dodging, a smaller, faster Pokémon would be the most powerful.

Profile photo of Lewis
    Lewis
    Keymaster

Hi all,

so far from my research, Alakazam with the Psycho Cut ability seems like a good candidate to be the most powerful Pokemon in Pokemon Go. Mainly due to the power of the attack and speed (DPS). Seems to do about 30% more damage per second than any other attack. Alakazam is the most evolved version of the Pokemon with this type of attack. I don’t know if it’s HP stands up to other Pokemon, but it’s definitely in the runnings for most powerful, in my opinion.

Profile photo of DemolitionSquid
    DemolitionSquid
    Participant

You also have to consider Pokemon type, which adds further complication to this matter.

From my experience so far though I am really favouring my XS Vaporeons with water gun and hydro pump attacks. They are quick, do good damage and have good HP.

In a 1v1 battle I’ve been able to defeat nearly any other Pokemon even if it had 500+cp more than my Vaporeon (1300cp).

It would be interesting to see how an Alakazam holds up though – yet to see one – but going on the stats of my Kadabra this could be true.

Profile photo of Lewis
    Lewis
    Keymaster

Seems as though the fully evolved version of Dratini (Dragonite) might have the highest CP in the game currently, from what I’ve read.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.