Poke Radar

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lewis Lewis 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DemolitionSquid
    DemolitionSquid
    Participant

Poke Radar is a community driven app for the location of pokemon.

I am interested in knowing if anyone has tried this out and how successful it is (or not) or if their are people interested in starting to use this for the Wellington area?

More info on their website here.

Profile photo of Lewis
    Lewis
    Keymaster

I’ve not tried it. I’ve often wondered if it was possible to make an app for finding (and sharing the location) of Pokemon. I figured that there would need to be an API or some way to connect to the Pokemon Go app to take note of the Pokemon that pop up in particular co ordinates.

I set up this website partly to enable people to set up groups to attack/defend gyms and do other social things, but also to share the location of Pokemon. I figured if people shared the locations of Pokemon, so it would be a lot easier to catch ’em all. It’s quite hard to get people to go out of their way to share the locations of them, so an app (if it did it automatically) would be great.

I had also wondered if it would be possible to get a phone emulator (of which there are many), then program it to specify GPS co-ordinates, rather than run about to open eggs and locate Pokemon. I’m sure if it’s possible, there must be good money in getting people to pay to walk their Pokemon or catch rare ones in hard to get (or unknown to them) locations.

DemolitionSquid
    Participant

Yeah it is definitely possible to spoof your GPS location through the use of emulators or other third party software, but from what I’ve heard and read its not the easiest.

First it requires a rooted phone and second it can be a sure fire way to get your account banned if they pick up on your activity.

Not worth the risk in my opinion to do such a thing plus it also would take all of the fun out of the game.

I like the idea of what you have done here and hope it catches on, I’ll be telling everyone I know to join up and encouraging their finds.

Profile photo of Lewis
    Lewis
    Keymaster

Awww, you’re a hero, thanks! Sharing is exactly what this site needs. The more people we have on here, the more powerful it will be 😀

Are you coming to the pub crawl on Saturday? It was a lot of fun last time! Really good group of people and many of them are coming again 🙂

DemolitionSquid
    Participant

Yeah, My wife pointed it out the meet up to me and is what lead me here, at this stage we are both planning on coming, sounds like a great time!

Profile photo of Lewis
    Lewis
    Keymaster

Awesome 🙂 Look forward to meeting up. I’m off to bed now, because I’m drunk on cough syrup (tastes so good – it’s the best [and only good] thing about getting a cold) 🙂

Profile photo of ScoobNZ
    ScoobNZ
    Participant

I haven’t used Poke Radar but I have made my own maps, based on the advice from a person who made the original maps, here: https://murfy.nz/2016/07/pokemon-maps-heroku/

Super easy to set up, and so then you’ll have your own little app for you to use, and you can share it if you want to.

But WARNING! If you share it too much and it goes viral, it becomes overloaded and people abuse / attack it. So share it your own peril! Personally, I won’t share my own maps I made, but I’m happy (as well as the originator), to share the instructions of how to make your own.

“Give a man a fish he’ll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he’ll eat forever”

Profile photo of Lewis
    Lewis
    Keymaster

I saw that and considered setting one up for us to use. I’d been using Pokevision, but found that it just shows where Pokemon are currently (which is great!). Unfortunately you cant use it to look up specific Pokemon or see what commonly spawns in an area over time (including day and night).

Ideally somebody (not me because I can’t be bothered) should make a Pokemap that shows current Pokemon and also can show historic Pokemon for an area. Including some stats like how often they spawn there and what time range the Pokemon typically appears in. Also a lookup system so you can see all the locations for a selected Pokemon would be good. And maybe a GIS radius search to show the nearest Pokemon of a particular type that is within reach (won’t despawn by the time you get there).

I think there’s a lot that can be done in this area. It would be very easy to make a website that would become world famous if you combined all the above. I just don’t think it would be very easy to make money out of it.

Profile photo of ScoobNZ
    ScoobNZ
    Participant

Actually, you can do some of that.

Yes it does show you what is available right now, and also a timer so you know how long it’s got to go. Personally, that’s exactly what I want to know.. what I can get right now. But make sure your phone’s time is set correctly, otherwise you might miss something.

The map also allows you to filter, so you can choose to filter out pokemon that you don’t want to show up. I do this for all the really common ones that I don’t particularly care about – Caterpie, Weedle, Pidgie, Zubat, Kakuna, Rattata, Psyduck, Tentacool, Magikarp. That way, the map isn’t so clogged up and it shows clearer, the ones that I actually want to go out and get, without all the rubbish. Sire I’ll encounter those on the way, but if I have to use my phone screen to view the map, I want to have the best view possible.

It also allows notifications (on-screen only, and the icon bounces on the map) of when certain Pokemon spawn, which you also specify.

Profile photo of Lewis
    Lewis
    Keymaster

That’s pretty good. I suppose you can also use that to save battery on the phone, because you only need to turn the phone when you get to the location the Pokemon is that you want.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.